Thursday, July 11, 2013

Wilderness in the City

Bianca and I went to Camp Long -  a hidden gem of a wilderness!  It is so hidden that I forgot that it was so close and convenient to me.   Tuesdays with Bianca in the summer means finding great outdoor activities.    I  said we were going to Camp Long.  Yeah!!


Begun as a park in 1937 it is 68 acres which includes forested nature trails, a lovely large expanse of green lawn called the parade ground,  very old and rustic scout cabins, kids science and environment classes and much more.


Polliwog Pond

A 5 year old can only take so much walking in the woods and admiring plants before she must liven it up somehow.  Lets play tag!  Her words not mine.  Much to my chagrin I wasn't pretending not to catch her.   I used to be a runner now my feet seem glued to the ground.  I'm not sure when running got so hard.  It sort of snuck up on me.  She was all pumping arms and flying feet

                                            

                                 Back at the lodge with the day's collection

Displaying a feather and pinecone from the trail

 She is becoming quite the little master with my iphone camera.  Self portraits to remember the day,
Bianca's latest pearl of wisdom.  "Doing stuff alone is boring"  I had to agree today.  I went back to Camp Long to complete the tour,  It wasn't near the fun on my own. 

                               I did see Schurman Rock though and now I'm looking forward to going back for a little rock scramble with my petite climbing partner.

There is a very interesting history of this climbing rock in Camp Long.  /West-Seattle-climbing-structure-

The easy side

1 comment:

joannamauselina said...

Lovely pictures of your lovely girl in what looks like a lovely place. Five year olds are pretty darned wonderful.