Saturday, July 13, 2013

Just whose garden is this anyway?

 
I planted a vegetable garden this year and even though I don't get much sun, there has been a rather tremendous growth of beautiful and tasty things to eat.  For some reason, I didn't think about critters being a problem in the city.  I have a friend who lives near the woods and can't grow a single thing that isn't devoured by the beautiful but pesky deer foragers who delicately ramble through her yard munching at fruit and flowers to their hearts content.  But back to the city.  I had been watching and waiting for my strawberries to turn red.  One was almost there but I left it for the next day when it would reach its perfect succulent ripeness.  My mouth watered in anticipation.  Alas, the next day it  was gone and as the days went every single ripe strawberry has disappeared. 




  Finally I found the evidence.  Whoever was eating the strawberries  outdid themselves and couldn't even finish this tasty morsel.  There must be a real fatty out there somewhere. 



I spotted this likely culprit across the
street and I think she might be the one who took the big bite out of my strawberry.
 Has a wee bit of a guilty look
don't you think?





I've heard of Angry Birds but this Robin was a bit of a 'go ahead and make my day bird'.   Boldly making eye contact with me, she  swooped down and then flew off with a juicy blueberry held in her beak.



I dearly love the creatures.   But it is every creature for themselves in the world of nature.  I'm determined to get my share.  I'll  resort to netting for the strawberries.   My plan for blueberries is eating.  Every time a berry turns blue, I plan to pop it in my mouth.  There is nothing as good as a sun warmed berry straight off the bush.   I felt a little guilt of my own while tilling soil for more planting.  I kept digging up peanuts.  No doubt they are winter provisions of that little squirrel.  I felt bad that she would come looking on a hungry day and they would be gone.  Nature is tough business!

This neighbor kitty showed up to watch my doings in the yard and found a sunny spot on the patio.  I wouldn't want to her to eat any creatures but she makes a beautiful deterrent,




A favorite flower











1 comment:

joannamauselina said...

That kitty should do a good job at keeping thieves at bay - unless, like Margaret, he is fond of strawberries.