Friday, January 6, 2012

Things Change


A mid-afternoon gloom was settling in as I took a walk in West Seattle




I was taking a new route and came upon my local library from a different perspective. There it appeared like a beacon in the dark which of course libraries have been over the years.
  I hope this lovely Carnegie library with all its lovely books won't become a thing of the past. 

Kindle world doesn't have a beautiful building on a hill but boy oh boy does it have books.   

Nine virtual books on my Kindle compared to nine actual books on my table

I'm starting to enjoy being old enough to talk about the old days.  I remember first learning how to use the library by picking through the tightly packed card catalogue in order to find the Dewey Decimal System clue to the book or magazine article I wanted. 

I spent less than 30 seconds to download this book after spending a few minutes on a wireless connection to find my latest read.


I understood the basics of the library system.  I have no clue how it is I can put any book I want on this thin Kindle.  The quote from the Wizard of Oz keeps coming to mind.  "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."

1 comment:

joannamauselina said...

I have a little reader thing, and have read a couple of books on it, but then I switched back to paper. I need to get it out, and load on some books that are unavailable in the library. I am such a lazy thing.