Friday, January 4, 2013

Winter bike ride


 With all good intentions, I plan to be fit and in shape for active retirement.    Taking life easy is a little addictive though.   I was aroused from the cozy environs of hearth and home by an invitation from Erika.    How about a mountain bike ride?   She showed me a video of the place which showed airborne bikes.

web photo of mountain bike trail


 Uhhh I'm not too sure.   Even though, we had just watched the movie "ET" again over the holidays and cheered the boys who took flight with their bikes, this looks entirely too real for me.    I cannot picture myself enjoying such a thing.    But with reassurance that there were cross county paths which officialy state that your wheels will  mostly    stay on the ground and a desire for adventure, exercise, the woods and a good companion to share time with off we went.  

The daring bike riders that we encountered couldn't have been nicer.   Helpful with path directions, always saying hi.   They love what they are doing so much that it seems to be their pleasure to share the joy.   Even when they saw a grandma aged rider like me they had encouraging things to say.   I moved aside for a biker to pass me on this bike bridge.



  I felt I had to explain and give myself some cover for going so slow.    "This freaks me out - it's all pyschological I know..."    He said "At least you are trying".     If I could have taken my hands off the handlebars I would have patted myself on the back - Yes, I'm trying!  Hurray for me.   One has to grasp at every straw when your hands are glued to your handlebars in fear of life and limb.     I have no problem balancing on a trail as flat as this but raise it a few inches off the ground and I feel I'm going to tip over....   


I couldn't have done it without the encouragement from Erika.   




Erika patiently waiting for me
she has time to take pictures while waiting
 
 


  
By the time we had done the 'Boot Camp'  a 2nd time, I was getting my confidence and started to enjoy (going oh so slowly)  the berms and gentle bumps  of this trail marked "Easy".

                    Some Web photos of the trail

Pick your route-I take the path of least resistance





1 comment:

joannamauselina said...

That looks so fun! You were brave. I would love to go on such a ride as long as there was not a log of uphill. I am am wimp when it comes to uphill work.

This was a great post!